3/18/12

I am always so inspired by woman who have like 6 kids, and are always the first to volunteer to do anything! Like the kind of woman who if another mom has a baby, she is the first to go pick up her other kids and watch them for a day even though she has several kids of her own. Or finds out someone is sick, and is there that day fixing them a meal of cleaning their house.

I have always wanted to strive to be that woman. I have always wanted people to know that they can count on me to do anything for them even though it may not be convenient. Life is never convenient. There is always something going on. Especially with kids!

There have been a couple times where I have told Nate that I want to be this type of mom, woman, and friend. But then life gets in the way and an opportunity for me to serve will arise and something will be going on where I think, oh I can't this time, but next time something happens I can help this person, or do this (whatever it may be)

But today in Relief society we were singing the closing song. And let me tell you, when I started singing and reading the words, tears started streaming down my face. The ladies around me were probably wondering what the heck was the matter with me. I have heard this song, I couldn't tell you how many times, but the words were as sharp as knife, and I realized what the heck am I waiting around for? Why do I just say I want to serve others, and be there for others when they need help..... Why can't I just do it.? So my new goal, starting now, is to serve others, not think it, not say it, not attempt it, but DO it!!


Have I done any good in the world today?
Have I helped anyone in need?
Have I cheered up the sad and made someone feel glad?
If not, I have failed indeed.
Has anyone’s burden been lighter today
Because I was willing to share?
Have the sick and the weary been helped on their way?
When they needed my help was I there?

Then wake up and do something more
Than dream of your mansion above.
Doing good is a pleasure, a joy beyond measure,
A blessing of duty and love.

There are chances for work all around just now,
Opportunities right in our way.
Do not let them pass by, saying, “Sometime I’ll try,”
But go and do something today.
’Tis noble of man to work and to give;
Love’s labor has merit alone.
Only he who does something helps others to live.
To God each good work will be known.

No comments: